Wednesday 4 April 2012

Wetsuit


I swam in my wetsuit this morning - 1st time in about 3plus years ... the reason: I'm getting a touch frustrated with a lack of stamina and cold water resistance and just wanted to check back in with my body to see what it's like to swim in a wetsuit again ... well, apart from feeling a bit restricted in my arm movement - the suit catches me under my armpits - I (only) swam 2 more lengths with it ... i.e I swam 10 lengths with my wetsuit ... the dilemma of my fingers spreading uncontrollably after 8 lengths set in all the same! This means swimming becomes rather uncomfortable and not as enjoyable as it could/should be :)

On one of my lengths, reflecting on the different swimming experience the wetsuit brings, I suddenly saw Alex "lying low"at the bottom of the pool pointing his camera up towards me ... I'll have to check out his blog later!

But what wearing the wetsuit allowed me to do, was to stay in the water for another 10 minutes or so after my swim and play around taking photos!

Here they are:)

I alway enjoy seeing all the micro bubbles Fred manages to create while swimming -
we discussed the phenomenon in the sauna ...
Fred took the discussion as a criticism .. when really it is rather lovely to see those bubbles under water as one is swimming along and they catch ones eye ...
Gus was quick to point out that what is missing when bubbles form is the glide ... which of course is true!
But hey, Alex the fastest man in the pool also know as "Mr. Bubbles" ... need I say it :
creates a lot of bubbles too!

wearing the wetsuit made me more buoyant and I was pushed up to the surface
sooner than I intended to resurface

swimmers were still too far away!

along came Gus who is benefitting from a later swim thanx to the easter school holidays

the same applied for Kate - school holidays are bliss!

This time, I managed to stay under water long enough to take Sue R. and Chris
before the wetsuit pushed me back up ...

More of Kate

up the deep end amongst the waves ...

... waited for a calmer moment to catch the reflections

as well as lovely shapes

and "fog" merging with the water

back to a dance of light

Kate was still swimming up ...

... and down!

"Bubbleless Hilary"

making my way back from the deep end ...
spot the newly painted fountain catching the sun

would you believe it ... Kate was still in the pool ... I think she must have swam a mile ...
"1KM doesn't do it for me anymore, I need more exercise!"
Way to go Kate!

that's it for me ... into the flip flops, a struggle (!) out of the wetsuit and into the sauna!

oh wait ... Clare is just starting off on her swim


6 comments:

  1. I'd rather not make so many bubbles but it doesn't really matter. Fred attacks the water and is pulling his arm across himself (something I also do) which probably adds to the bubbles. What a lot of pictures! I love the reflections in the deep end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos Elizabeth, and yes, I did make my mile again today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done for swimming a mile again today,Kate! I'll soon get around to posting the video I took of you ... :)

    not sure how to solve the bubbles mystery ?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You in a wetsuit? Hmmm, what's the world coming to. I reckon the wetsuit adds about 20% to the time in the water, but you also tend to be faster... I found it rather cold today. Pip and Ian came to clean the sauna as I was getting out of the pool, so took me ages to warm up... Martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh well, you know ... I had to give the wetsuit a go again .. after such a long time - it takes a bit of getting used to . so you never know I might try it again tomorrow ... I must get more lengths in ..:) C u soon Martin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wearing a wetsuit is a dangerous hobby to indulge in. Once you start wearing it - it's difficult to go back to bare skin... Resist is the word! Martin

    ReplyDelete